If you work in the field service industry, there are some significant changes that you’re likely to see during 2020. Overall, the technology that’s being used in the field has already changed a lot, and it’s likely to continue to change rapidly throughout the year. Here are the top ten trends that are likely to impact field services in 2020.
1. The Technology That’s Used In The Industry Is Likely To Improve
Technology has improved dramatically during the 21st century, and the technology that’s used in the field service industry is no exception. Not only that, but the advances that are likely to be seen in 2020 will be beyond anything that has ever been seen before. These are a few of the most important technological developments that field service workers are likely to see next year:
- It’s estimated that 52% of all field services are performed manually, but it’s estimated that 92% of executives would like to change the way that these jobs are done in order to meet the needs of customers.
- The scheduling of field services jobs is likely to be increasingly done by software as opposed to manually.
- Live tracking of field services is likely to become more commonplace, and this has already been implemented by Amazon and Uber.
2. Smart Uniforms Will Become More Sophisticated And Popular
Smart uniforms are likely to be the way of the future, and it’s likely that a large portion of workers in the field service industry will begin to use them. These uniforms are already being widely utilized in some regions of the world. They can make the job of field service workers both easier and safer. Here are a few of the many ways that smart uniforms will make the jobs of field service workers easier:
- Smart uniforms will be able to prevent injuries to field service workers by keeping track of their posture and muscle movements, which will allow workers to avoid movements that are likely to result in injury.
- In addition, smart uniforms will make it easier for workers to identify the reasons why equipment fails.
- Hats are being developed that will be able to monitor workers for signs of fatigue, which is likely to be especially important for drivers.
3. Augmented Reality Will Revolutionize The Field
Augmented reality makes it possible for field service workers to view the world from another perspective, which can make the jobs of field service workers much easier. These are a few of the many ways that augmented reality will make the jobs of field service workers easier and improve the quality of services that they are able to perform:
- Augmented reality will allow workers to be able to look at instruction manuals without taking their eyes off the task they’re performing.
- Augmented reality will reduce the training time that’s needed for new workers.
- This technology will make it easier for workers to fix underground cables.
4. Drones Will Become More Sophisticated And Widely Used
Drones make it possible to survey an area, deliver materials, and even deliver products to customers. Furthermore, drones are becoming increasingly autonomous, which makes it easier for companies to use them for a wide range of tasks. Here are a few ways that drones will make the jobs of field service workers easier:
- Drones will be able to deliver supplies to field service workers, which can allow tasks to be completed more quickly.
- Drones also will be increasingly used to survey an area before a job is started.
- Drones will make it easier for damage to power lines to be assessed.
5. Robotic Technicians Will Be Able To Perform More Tasks Than Ever Before
Robotic technicians will make it easier for field service workers to perform their jobs, which is because these technologies will be able to perform certain tasks for field service workers. These are just a few of the ways that robotic technicians will make the jobs of field service workers easier:
- Robotic devices will be able to perform tasks that would be too dangerous for manual workers to do, which will make the jobs of field service workers safer.
- It will be possible for field service workers to access instruction manuals more easily.
- Robotics will make it possible for jobs to get done faster.
6. Autonomous Vehicles Will Dramatically Improve Field Service
While cars driving themselves sounds like something out of a science fiction film, they’re going to be hitting the streets in the near future. This is likely to make the jobs of those in the field service industry far easier than ever before! These are a few important reasons why autonomous vehicles will change the jobs of field service workers:
- Autonomous vehicles will be able to reach their destination exceptionally fast, which will make it possible for jobs to be done faster.
- The vehicles will be able to provide real-time information about their location.
- Autonomous vehicles will become more advanced, and they’ll begin to implement more advanced collision avoidance features.
7. 3D Printing Will Be Used To Create A Wide Range Of Devices
3D printing will be able to create numerous devices that have important applications in the field service industry, which will lower the cost of producing these devices. This will help to reduce company budgets when it comes to purchasing equipment for their field service workers. Here are a few of the benefits that 3d printing is likely to have for people who perform field services:
- 3d printers will create more effective tools that can be utilized by people in industries that perform field services.
- 3d printing can allow materials to be created that allow field service workers to perform tasks much more quickly.
- The materials that are created by 3d printers are likely to be built much more precisely than in the past.
8. Internet Of Things Will Become Increasingly Sophisticated
The internet of things has already revolutionized our day to day lives, and it will continue to do so in the future. The internet of things will continue to allow new devices to become connected to one another, and the possibilities are virtually endless when it comes to these devices. Here are a few examples of developments in the internet of things that are likely to benefit field service workers:
- The internet of things will allow field service workers to link devices to one another, which will make it possible for field service workers to perform better quality work.
- The advances in the internet of things will mean that workers who perform field services will need to install new smart devices in customers’ homes.
- The internet of things may impact field services that you wouldn’t expect it to.
9. Voice Assistants Will Be Used More Than Ever Before
If you’re looking for something online, there’s a good chance that you’ve used a voice assistant in the past. Furthermore, this technology is becoming increasingly popular among the general public, which means that you’ll need to make sure that your business is ready for improvements in this technology. Here are a few important things to know about the impact that voice assistants are likely to have on field services:
- Voice assistants will make it more convenient for customers to hire professionals to come to their home for installation, repair, and maintenance of devices. This is likely to lead to an increase in the amount of jobs that require field services workers.
- Voice assistants may improve in ways that will ensure that customers are able to get exactly what they need when it comes to field services.
10. Amazon Home Services Will Reach More People Than Ever
Amazon Home Services makes it convenient for people to connect with field service workers for a variety of tasks around their home, which is likely to be extremely convenient for many homeowners. Furthermore, Amazon Home Services makes it easy for homeowners to be sure that they’re hiring a competent professional. That’s because all of the people who are allowed to list their services on the site have been thoroughly vetted. These are a few examples of the many ways that Amazon Home Services will change field services:
- If a customer orders an item from Amazon, it’s possible for them to hire a professional to install it directly through the website, which is likely to mean more jobs for workers who perform field services.
- Amazon Home Services makes it possible to hire workers for a wide range of tasks, such as cleaning, carpet cleaning, and handyman services. This could make it easier for companies that offer these services to find new customers.
- As time goes on, Amazon is likely to approve more vendors for their home services.