Table of Contents
Universities have to market themselves differently in 2018 than they did in the past due to the ever-changing nature of modern technology. These fifteen innovative higher education marketing strategies are incredibly effective for universities that are trying to increase enrollment in 2018. Pay close attention to these strategies that will be used in marketing for universities during 2018:
1. Video Advertisements Are Far More Effective Than Written Ads
It is estimated that 65% of the population learns better by seeing images than reading words. This makes video higher education marketing incredibly effective. While universities often post video advertisements on their own website, many universities post video advertisements on YouTube and other third party websites.
2. Personal Voice Assistants Are Revolutionizing How Universities Advertise
You can find information about just about anything using a personal voice assistant! It is estimated that 55% of households used a voice assistant in 2016. However, voice assistants often only recite information from the first search result. Therefore, universities have to ensure that their website ranks exceptionally well on search engines in order to benefit from this technology.
While Amazon Echo and Google Home are two popular voice assistants now, it is likely that there will be many other popular voice assistants developed in the future. In fact, new voice assistants may be developed in 2018. This will make it necessary for universities to pay even more attention to their website’s search rankings in order to implement this effective form of marketing for universities.
3. University Websites Are Becoming Mobile-Friendly
Universities always make sure that websites are mobile-friendly. It is estimated that 60% of all internet traffic comes from mobile devices.
It is estimated that a billion people use social media. Many universities have implemented this strategy in recent years, and it’s expected that even more universities will begin using social media marketing in 2018.
5. Universities Are Paying Close Attention To Their Website’s Search Rankings
High search rankings increase traffic on all websites, and there are many different types of strategies that universities are implementing to increase their search rankings. This makes SEO one of the most important higher education trends for the marketing of universities. It’s estimated that 93% of people use a search engine to begin surfing the web. These are some examples of common search engine optimization strategies that universities are likely to use in 2018:
- Attention To Keywords: Websites for universities should always be 1-3% keywords. This helps to maximize rankings without causing the content to contain awkward phrasing, and it also ensures that the university website won’t be removed from the search results for keyword stuffing.
- Meta Descriptions: Meta descriptions are 150-160 character descriptions websites that are visible in the search results. They attract enrollees to universities by creating an enticing description of the university website that shows up in the search results.
- Quality Content: While university websites have always been known for featuring well-written content, universities sometimes hire content writers that specialize in online marketing in order to ensure that their site ranks well on search engines.
6. Email Marketing Is Not Dead
While some people have neglected email marketing and even claimed that it is not important nowadays, this couldn’t be any further from the truth. As a result of email marketing’s importance in the modern era, numerous universities have begun using the strategy. There are several strategies that universities use to market themselves by email. Often, university newsletters are sent to subscribers. On average, more than two percent of promotional emails are read in entirety.
7. Lectures Are An Excellent Marketing Tool In Marketing For Colleges
Many university lectures discuss topics that would be appealing to prospective enrollees that are interested in a range of many different subjects. One way to encourage more people to view these lectures is to live stream them. This can allow thousands or even millions of people to view the university’s events, and this is a powerful way to attract new customers. Highly effective universities, such as Oxford, use this strategy.
8. Let Prospective Enrollees Speak With Employees Of The University Online
Many university websites have live chat features, and these live chat features allow you to speak with a representative of the university in real time. Universities can use live chat features to answer questions that visitors have after they return home from their visit of the school. Some live chat features even allow someone from the university to have a video chat with a representative of the university.
9. Web Content Personalization Improves Marketing For Colleges
There are many ways that web content can be designed for the needs of a specific individual, and many universities have been keeping this in mind when they design their website. These are some ways that content on university websites can be tailored to an individual:
- Existing data from a website can be analyzed in order to create search suggestions.
- Content for email marketing can be designed using information gathered from analying the activity of people on the university website.
Often, universities implement a personalization pyramid. These are the levels of the personalization pyramid:
1. Optimization: Search engine optimization is a key component of the personalization pyramid.
2. Segmentation: Content on a university website needs to be broken up into multiple sections that are designed for the needs of individual viewers.
3. 1 to 1 Personalization: Artificial intelligence ensures that content is directly relevant to what an individual user is looking for.
10. High-Profile Endorsements Are One Of The Most Effective Ways To Promote A University Website
Many colleges have a famous alumni who benefited greatly from what they learned in college. Colleges often talk about famous graduates on television and in online advertisements. This is likely to be especially important in 2018. Due to the unfortunate fact that rising tuitions is likely to be among the better known higher education trends among the general public, prospective students need to be able to see that their degrees are likely to lead to tangible benefits.
11. Blogs Are A Much More Powerful Online Marketing Tool Than Many People Think
Some blogs get a large amount of traffic, and posts on these websites can be powerful advertising tools for universities. While there are many ways that universities can market themselves on blogs, here are some examples of ways that blog posts can effectively increase enrollment:
- Guest Posts: It’s easy for universities to be able to make guest posts on high-traffic blogs. Due to the prestige of many universities, it is easy for them to get guest posts accepted by blogs. In some cases, guest posts on blogs include video advertisements.
- Backlinks To The University Page: Backlinks can be included in guest posts on blogs as well as on other high profile websites. Not only can a backlink drive traffic to the university’s website, but it can help to improve the website’s search rankings.
Banner advertisements often appear on high traffic websites, and search histories of prospective students determines what banner advertisements they will see. Therefore, prospective students who have searched for similar universities are likely to see advertisements for the university that is being promoted. As a result, banner ads can reach a group of people that is more likely to enroll. Not only do banner advertisements contain compelling text, but they can also include photographs and videos that are likely to attract prospective students. Banner ads have been found to be 33% more effective than billboards.
13. Promotional Articles Are One Of The Most Effective Ways To Increase Traffic To A University Website
If a university gets an article published in a third party magazine, this can bring more traffic to a website. Universities ensure that all the articles that are posted are rich in content, and these articles usually contain video and images. If there are multiple articles on third-party websites, universities often have articles of different lengths posted.
14. Automation Is More Than Just Robo-Calls
There are many types of automation that universities use. Some universities use software programs to post automatically on blogs and forums. However, other universities use automation to make telephone calls to prospective enrollees. Both types of automation can be highly effective.
15. Great Apps Can Make Your University More Popular
In addition to creating mobile-friendly websites, many universities are designing apps to help people who use mobile devices access the website. The apps have features that may not be found on the version of the website that’s designed for laptops or desktops. University apps often include high-quality graphics. Apps that are designed by universities to help mobile users access the university website can often be downloaded on the university website itself, but they also are usually available for download on third-party websites. Some examples of third party websites where the apps can be found are the iTunes store and Google Play. Studies estimate that people have an average of 26 apps on their phone.