B2C marketing (business-to-consumer marketing) refers to all the strategies and tactics through which a company/business promotes its services and products to individual consumers, i.e., it is the creation, advertising, and selling of the products to the customers for use in their day-to-day lives.
B2C marketing is essential to all businesses that sell consumer-based services or products. These include; drug stores, restaurants, car companies, grocery stores, fashion businesses, software companies, etc. However, today the internet has become the preferred channel for businesses with B2C brands to promote their services and goods and conduct market research.
A business that focuses on B2C marketing has to closely observe the latest trends, do extensive research on their customers’ habits of purchase, and determine their competitors” strategies, as it is critical to know these challenges and understand how to break through them to achieve success.
All B2C marketing efforts focus on cultivating a desire and building trust with customers and rely heavily on shared values and emotions for persuasion and convincing. Businesses and marketers must understand what they are to leverage them appropriately in their marketing efforts.
Top 10 effective B2C marketing strategies
Social networks and viral marketing is a strategy used to promote products and services or even content through the existing social networking platforms and other technologies such as YouTube, Twitter, Linked In, and Facebook. The key to effective viral marketing is to spread a specific message through the messengers in an appropriate environment. The message being spread has to be memorable and exciting for it to be appealing to the consumer.
Viral marketing has excellent advantages:
- It is low cost as it does not cost that much to create something that people are willing to share. Sometimes the most straightforward idea resonates the most and can give you excellent results.
- It has a broad reach as going viral means your message and brand are spread much further than estimated.
- It increases credibility as your brand gets awareness by being on everyone’s feed and becoming a discussion topic among people.
Paid media advertising
Paid media advertising is a method by which companies promote their content through promoted multimedia, including sponsored social media posts, video ads, display ads, pop-ups, and paid search results. One of the most common methods of paid advertising is pay-per-click (PPC) links. Pay-per-click involves a company buying a link that in turn appears as an ad in the search engine when specific keywords relating to their service or product are searched. Each time the ad is clicked, the company pays the host site a small fee for the delivered visitor.
Paid media advertising has its fair share of advantages:
- It is multipurpose since keyword incorporation is part of PPC advertising formats and can be applied to any business.
- It creates awareness quickly and much more cost-effective due to the high reach in advertising online.
- It is also flexible as there are many ad formats, sizes, and cost options that will suit a business of any size.
Also called online marketing, it refers to strategies that companies use to market their products and services online and other digital means. It includes a wide variety of online tools and platforms that act as content delivery systems such as; Search Engine Optimization, website content and website design, infographics, and paid promotions.
Its benefits include:
- It has a broad and global outreach as it is not restricted to one specific area or region.
- It enables a business to track its advertising results by using internet marketing strategies to provide a better idea of how the marketing campaign is running.
- Internet marketing is much cheaper than other traditional marketing methods and offers a quick and convenient service.
Email marketing uses email to promote services and products while developing mutual relationships with potential clients or customers. It is nearly done through direct electronic mail rather than the postal service.
Email marketing has the following advantages:
- It is a cost-effective method to promote any business, whether the goal is to sell more products or build your brand.
- Emailing automation can be done using tools such as autoresponders that automatically send out emails in a formatted schedule.
- It allows for delivering targeted messages by sending emails to the subscribers who meet a particular criterion.
Direct selling marketing
It is the selling and marketing of services and products directly to the customers. It involves selling the products in a non-retail setting, i.e., sales occur at work, home, or any other non-store location. In this strategy, the sales agents build relationships face to face with the customers by demonstrating and selling their particular products.
Direct selling has the following benefits
- It brings about the ability to directly target the customers by connecting with those most likely interested in your product.
- It is affordable, especially when working with a local market and growing your business market share.
- It has a fast delivery of the products being sold as they instantly get to the consumer with no time wastage.
Point-of-purchase (POP) marketing
It is the practice of placing marketing material next to the products that are being advertised. This strategy is designed to capture the attention of potential customers and convince them to make the purchase.
It has the following benefits:
- It is cost-effective as POP displays are cost-free since the only requirement is a product’s catchy design and strategic location.
- POP displays draw much attention to your products because the displays are set aside from the other products.
- The POP displays may also help boost the products at your bottom line without an advertising campaign.
Co-branding, affinity, and cause marketing
It is a marketing strategy in which two or more brands merge and promote a single service or product. In turn, the different brands lend their collective credibility to increase the perception of the service or product value so consumers can pay more.
It has the following advantages:
- It enables a business to enhance and build its brand credibility through a partnership with another respectable company.
- It offers extended reach as both businesses now provide access to a market that the other had no access to.
- Co-branding brings about a doubling in the marketing budget as two businesses joining will lead to a more considerable expenditure in advertising.
It is a marketing strategy that engages customers in personalized experiences that are dialogue-driven on a one-to-one level, enabling companies to provide value to the consumer and gain customers’ unique insights.
Conversational marketing has the following benefits:
- It offers clear communication where buyers can plainly state their requirements and business can assist appropriately based on the request.
- It strengthens consumer relationships as bots can recommend any additional product or content to the buyer based on their past behavior.
- It helps create an authentic customer personal experience by removing all the layers of impersonal leads.
Earned media/PR marketing
Earned media marketing is the media coverage of a brand, product, or service providing exposure to a large audience in mainstream media. It is sometimes known as publicity.
It has the following advantages:
- It helps boost your brand by yielding significant influence through popularity.
- Earned media complements other media forms by strengthening your adopted marketing strategy to get the most out of your marketing expenditure.
- Earned media helps create awareness of your brand to the target audience reading or listening to it.
Storytelling marketing is putting your brand into a narrative story form when presenting it to customers. It enables you to weave together facts and emotions your brand induces, allowing you to resonate with the customers.
Storytelling marketing has the following benefits:
- It helps you to convey the brand’s personality that the customers will want to see and experience.
- Storytelling marketing has an emotional quotient that hits customers differently depending on how the story evokes their feelings.
- Storytelling marketing will always keep the customers coming back for more as the experience is still pleasing.
Every marketing strategy adopted requires a corresponding market plan to make it useful. Before adopting any marketing strategy, it is crucial to evaluate its importance depending on the products and services you are providing. Any marketing strategy is profitable but only if appropriately implemented by the marketing department to impact.