A title tag is the HTML element that designates the title of a web page. Its purpose is to alert site visitors and search engines about what they will find on the page. These tags should be as clear and concise as possible. The following is an example of typical title tag text: Actionable SEO Tips for Top Results.
An effective title tag compels the user to click onto your web page from the SERPS results. If you post your title tags on social media sites or other sources, web users can click your tags there. Major reasons why title tags are important are the following:
- First Impressions Have Impact. When performing a search, your title tag is the first item the searcher will notice. This is your first and best opportunity to make a dynamic and positive impression.
- Brand Leverage Counts. In general, people trust brands that are well-known and easily recognizable. They also give credibility to new or lesser-known brands that display their brand name prominently. A great way to get your brand known is to include your brand name in your title tag.
You may have difficulty with determining the best primary keyword for your web page title tag. If so, you can consult such expert sites as the Ahrefs Keyword Explorer page. Once you select your primary keyword, the next step is creating one or two long-tail keywords.
These long-tail key phases can help your page rank higher in SERPs. This is because it may take a long period of time to gain rankings for your primary keywords. Yet, with the use of long-tail variations on your main keyword, you can gain new site traffic much sooner. These long-tail keywords can also be included in your title tag naturally for good SEO results.
- Create a precise, clear description of your web page.
- Keep title tags short, in the range of 50 to 60 characters.
- Include your primary keyword, and if possible, use one or two long-tail variations.
Remember that Google and other search engines take note of your title tag when crawling your website. Ever since Google introduced Hummingbird, the crawler has the capacity to understand conversational search data and synonyms.
Title tags have a strong impact on website SEO and web page rankings for SERPS. They inform web users about the information that they will access when clicking on your web page. These tags also determine web page relevancy for search query results, which is essential for search engines.