It’s no secret that mobile usage is steadily increasing, and creating a mobile optimized website is no longer a “nice to have”. Consumers increasingly rely on the mobile web to research and make purchases, which makes it more important than ever for companies to have an effective mobile presence that adheres to core usability and design principles and best practices.
Google conducted a study that was held through 119 hour-long in-person usability sessions with participants in Chicago and San Francisco to help define mobile web design tips for businesses who want to redesign their website for the mobile world.
Below you will find key insights, best practices and core principles for mobile website design to help create a user-centered mobile experience that increases conversion and user satisfaction.
Mobile Web Design Tips For Homepage and Site Navigation Design
Most users will land on your home page on their mobile device, which makes it the initial engagement point for your mobile users. What you put on your home page and how it’s structured is key.
- Keep Calls-To-Action Front And Center
- Keep Menus Short And Sweet
- Make It Easy To Get Back To The Homepage
- Don’t Let Promotions Steal The Show
Mobile Web Design Tips For Site Search
Site search plays a huge role in mobile website design. When searching for your products or services, most users will default to using your websites search functionality instead of its navigation structure.
- Make Site Search Visible
- Ensure Site Search Results Are Relevant
- Implement Filters To Improve Site Search Usability
- Guide Users To Better Site Search Results
Mobile Web Design Tips for Commerce and Conversions
One of the biggest challenges the mobile experience has is providing a streamlined and easy checkout and eCommerce experience. Businesses are still struggling to provide a desktop-like ease to buying product online.
- Let Users Explore Before They Commit
- Let Users Purchase As A Guest
- Use Existing Information To Maximize Convenience
- Use Click-To-Call Buttons For Complex Tasks
- Make It Easy To Finish Converting On Another Device
Mobile Web Design Tips For Forms
Forms are the achilles heel on most websites. They are difficult to complete and in many cases are not optimized for mobile use.
- Streamline Information Entry
- Choose The Simplest Input Method For Each Task
- Provide A Visual Calendar When Selecting Dates
- Minimize Form Errors With Labeling And Real-Time Validation
- Design Efficient Forms
Mobile Web Design Tips For Usability Form Factors
Most mobile websites, even if designed well, stumble across the details of mobile website design that users will engage with most.
- Optimize Your Entire Site For Mobile
- Don’t Make Users Pinch-To-Zoom
- Make Product Images Expandable
- Tell Users Which Screen Orientation Works Best
- Keep Your User In A Single Browser Window
- Avoid “Full Site” Labeling
- Be Clear Why You Need A User’s Location
- Minimize Pagination Usage