In today’s fast-paced digital world, attention spans are shorter than ever. To capture and hold the attention of potential customers, businesses need to communicate their messages quickly and effectively. This is where explainer videos come in. These short, engaging videos have become an essential marketing tool for businesses of all sizes and industries, helping them to communicate complex ideas in a simple and visually appealing way.
An explainer video is a short, informative video that helps viewers understand a product, service, or concept. Typically ranging from 60 to 90 seconds in length, these videos are designed to be engaging, concise, and easily shareable across various platforms. The primary goal of explainer videos is to break down complex ideas into digestible and relatable content, ultimately leading to increased audience engagement and higher sales conversion rates.
This article will provide a comprehensive guide to explainer videos, covering their various types, the key elements that make them effective, and the production process involved in creating them. We will also discuss how explainer videos boost engagement and drive sales, along with best practices, tips, and successful case studies. By the end of this guide, you will have a solid understanding of explainer videos and how to leverage them for your business’s success.
Types of explainer videos
To create an explainer video that resonates with your target audience and effectively communicates your message, choosing the right type for your business is essential. In this section, we will discuss the most popular types of explainer videos and their respective advantages:
Animated explainer videos
- 2D animation: This type is flat and two-dimensional, making it the most common and cost-effective option for explainer videos. With its visually appealing graphics and unlimited creative possibilities, 2D animation suits various industries and products.
- 3D animation: Although more complex and expensive than 2D animation, 3D animation provides a more realistic and immersive experience. It’s particularly effective for showcasing intricate products or visualizing abstract concepts.
- Whiteboard animation: This style features hand-drawn illustrations on a whiteboard background and a voiceover. Whiteboard animations are perfect for explaining step-by-step processes or educational content, as they create a sense of simplicity and clarity.
Live-action explainer videos
Live-action explainer videos feature real people, objects, and locations, making them ideal for businesses that want to showcase their products or services in a realistic setting. In addition, these videos can help build trust and credibility, especially for companies with physical products or human-centered services.
Screen capture explainer videos
These videos benefit software companies, demonstrating how to use a digital product by recording the screen while a narrator provides instructions. In addition, screen capture explainer videos are an effective way to train users and showcase software features.
Do you need digital marketing strategy or web design help?
Mixed media explainer videos
Combining animation, live-action, and screen capture elements, mixed media explainer videos offer the best of all worlds. This versatile format can be tailored to suit any industry or product and can create a unique and engaging viewing experience.
Choosing the right type for your business
When selecting the type of explainer video for your business, consider your target audience, the complexity of your product or service, and your budget—choosing a format that aligns with your brand identity and effectively communicates your message to your audience.
In the next section, we will delve into the critical elements of a compelling explainer video, including script, length, messaging, visuals, and sound.
Critical elements of a compelling explainer video
To create an explainer video that engages your audience and drives results, it’s essential to pay attention to the following key elements:
An engaging script is the foundation of a successful explainer video. It should be concise, clear, and focused on your target audience’s needs and pain points. A well-written script will capture your audience’s attention and effectively guide them through your message.
The ideal length of an explainer video is between 60 to 90 seconds. This timeframe is long enough to convey your message but short enough to maintain viewer interest. Keep in mind that attention spans are short, so every second counts.
Clear and concise messaging
Your explainer video should focus on the most crucial aspects of your product or service. However, avoid overwhelming your audience with too much information. Instead, prioritize the most relevant benefits to your target audience and address their pain points directly.
High-quality visuals and sound
Invest in high-quality visuals and sound to create a professional, polished explainer video. Beautiful animations, live-action footage, and clear voiceover will hold your audience’s attention and build trust and credibility for your brand.
Strong call-to-action (CTA)
An explainer video should always end with a solid call to action that encourages your audience to take the next step, whether signing up for a trial, contacting your team, or purchasing. Make sure your CTA is clear and compelling.
Now that we’ve discussed the vital elements of a compelling explainer video let’s explore the production process in more detail, including the pre-production, production, and post-production stages.
Do you need help with your SEO?
The explainer video production process
Creating a successful explainer video requires careful planning and execution. The production process can be divided into three main stages:
- Defining objectives and target audience: Start by identifying the primary goal of your explainer video and the target audience you want to reach. This will help guide the creative direction and messaging throughout the production process.
- Concept development: Brainstorm ideas and develop a creative concept that aligns with your brand identity and appeals to your target audience. This is where you determine the overall look and feel of your video.
- Scriptwriting: Write a clear and engaging script that conveys your message effectively. Remember to focus on your audience’s pain points and keep the language simple and relatable.
- Storyboarding: Create a visual representation of your script, outlining each scene and transition in the video. This will help you visualize the final product and communicate your message effectively.
- Animation or filming: Depending on the type of explainer video you’ve chosen, this stage involves creating animations or shooting live-action footage. Ensure the visuals are high-quality and engaging to hold your audience’s attention.
- Voiceover recording: Record a professional and clear voiceover that narrates your script. The voiceover should be in sync with the visuals and effectively convey your message.
- Sound design and music: Enhance your video with background music and sound effects that complement the visuals and create an immersive viewing experience.
- Editing: Combine all the visual and audio elements to create a seamless and polished final product. This stage involves fine-tuning the video’s pacing, transitions, and overall flow.
- Color grading: Adjust the colors and visual elements to create a consistent and appealing look throughout the video.
- Final review and revisions: Thoroughly examine the finished video to ensure it meets your objectives and communicates your message effectively. Make any necessary revisions before releasing the video.
The following section will discuss using explainer videos to increase engagement and drive sales.
How to use explainer videos to increase engagement
An explainer video can be a potent marketing tool, but optimizing and distributing it effectively across various platforms is essential to maximize its potential. Here are some strategies for using explainer videos to boost engagement:
Optimizing for social media platforms
- Facebook: Upload your explainer video natively to Facebook and use attention-grabbing thumbnails and captions. Consider running targeted ads to reach a broader audience.
- Instagram: Share your explainer video on your feed, IGTV, or in Stories. Use relevant hashtags and captions to increase visibility and engagement.
- LinkedIn: Share your explainer video as a native post, targeting professionals and companies in your industry. Use LinkedIn’s targeting features to reach the right audience.
- Twitter: Tweet your explainer video with relevant hashtags and engage with users who share or comment on your video.
Email marketing campaigns
Include your explainer video in your email marketing campaigns to boost click-through rates and engagement. A captivating thumbnail and a clear call-to-action can encourage recipients to watch your video and learn more about your product or service.
Embed your explainer video on your website, particularly on your homepage or product pages. This can increase visitors’ time on your site and improve conversion rates.
Use your explainer video as the creative for paid advertising campaigns on platforms like Google Ads or social media. This can help drive targeted traffic and generate leads.
Measuring engagement metrics
Track the performance of your explainer video using various engagement metrics, such as views, watch time, shares, and comments. Then, use this data to optimize your video and distribution strategy for better results.
How explainer videos can boost sales
Explainer videos can have a significant impact on your sales by:
Building brand awareness
An engaging explainer video can quickly capture your audience’s attention and help them understand your brand, product, or service.
Simplifying complex products or services
Explainer videos can break down complex concepts into digestible and relatable content, making it easier for your audience to understand the value of your offering.
Access 20 years of digital marketing knowledge to help grow your brand.
Addressing pain points and providing solutions
Explainer videos can effectively drive conversions and sales by addressing your audience’s pain points and presenting your product or service as a solution.
Strengthening customer trust and loyalty
High-quality explainer videos can build trust and credibility for your brand, encouraging customers to choose your product or service over competitors.
Influencing purchase decisions
An engaging and informative explainer video can help your audience make informed purchase decisions, ultimately driving sales.
The following section will cover best practices and tips for creating successful explainer videos.
Best practices and tips for successful explainer videos
Creating a compelling explainer video involves more than just following a formula. It requires creativity, strategy, and a deep understanding of your audience. Here are some best practices and tips for creating successful explainer videos:
Tell a story
Rather than just listing out features, use storytelling to engage your audience emotionally. For example, a story with a problem, solution, and happy ending can make your video more relatable and memorable.
Focus on your customers’ needs, challenges, and desires. Show how your product or service can make their lives better. Make your audience the hero of the story.
Focus on benefits, not features.
While it’s important to highlight your product’s features, what matters to customers are the benefits. Explain how your product or service can solve problems or improve their lives.
Please keep it simple and relatable.
Avoid industry jargon and complex language. Instead, use simple, clear terms that your audience can easily understand. Ensure your visuals are also easy to grasp and relevant to your audience.
Test and iterate
Create different versions of your explainer video to test what works best for your audience. Then, continuously use the insights gained from these tests to improve your video and strategy.
The digital marketing and creative agency brands trust.
Case studies and examples of successful explainer videos
To help you better understand the power of explainer videos, let’s look at a few successful case studies:
Dropbox used a simple animated explainer video to explain how their product works. This video helped Dropbox increase its conversion rate by 10%, adding 10 million users.
Dollar Shave Club
Dollar Shave Club’s humorous and engaging live-action explainer video helped them gain 12,000 new customers within 48 hours of its release. The video has since gathered over 26 million views on YouTube.
Spotify used an animated explainer video to introduce their new “Discover Weekly” feature. The video effectively explained the feature’s benefits and how to use it, leading to increased engagement and use.
Slack’s explainer video focused on the pain points of their target audience – teams struggling with communication. The video demonstrated how Slack could solve these problems, helping to drive adoption and sales.
Explainer videos are a powerful tool in today’s digital marketing landscape. They offer a unique opportunity to communicate complex ideas in a simple, engaging manner that resonates with your target audience. With a well-crafted explainer video, you can boost engagement, increase brand awareness, and drive sales.
However, creating a successful explainer video requires careful planning, creativity, and understanding of your audience’s needs and pain points. You can create an explainer video that stands out in the crowded digital space by focusing on storytelling, emphasizing benefits over features, and continuously testing and improving.
Whether you’re a startup looking to introduce your product to the world or an established company aiming to improve customer understanding of your services, explainer videos can be a game-changer. The power of visual storytelling is immense, and when done right, it can significantly impact your business’s bottom line.