Email marketing has become one of the main streams to generate content for inbound marketing techniques. The business owners who master this digital marketing dimension can improve their brand awareness and achieve results faster. It is an inexpensive technique that will increase your credibility with customers passively, so you can spend time on the creation of product instead of selling the service.
Email marketing becomes highly useful for the different opportunities that it brings. However, it still doesn’t become the perfect tool for any business model due to its limitations. It is recommended to know the strengths and weaknesses of your business model and see if email marketing is the best option for you.
Some business ideas would not work without email marketing, such as info-products and consulting programs. You may not need email marketing if your brand awareness system already brings optimal results. Simply look at the advantages and inconveniences of this practice and learn whether you should implement it.
Why You Should Or Should Not Use Email Marketing
As happens with any system, it will take time and iteration to figure out what works better for your company. Before you start developing your strategy, make sure that you consider the ups and downs of email marketing, so you produce the results you expected. Also, understand that emails perform differently based on industry.
Benefits Of Email Sequences
- Qualify your leads: There are many ways to increase brand awareness that involves increasing your traffic, but how many of them guarantee that your sales will be more numerous? In email marketing, you can easily understand the conversion ratios of your services by looking at the right metrics. This data allows creating efficient sales funnels, doing more with less.
- User-friendly: The reason email sequences convert better naturally is that prospects don’t feel forced to take any action. Instead, they are following you and moving forward based on their own decisions, which makes them more receptive when looking at your promotions.
- Contact organization: It would be almost impossible without email marketing to scale your business, especially when having thousands of new clients signing up every day. You should not see your traffic as a uniform group, but as a list where each person has a different perception of your brand. A smart email sequence will adapt the message to the receptor, depending on their interest in your services.
Limitations Of Email Marketing
- Limited Trust: Even though you can educate your customers about the products offered, there is a threshold when it comes to producing some conversions. For users, email marketing is the most basic form of communication with a brand, which is not always enough when selling high-ticket offers. Regardless of automation opportunities, people still need certain interactions with the real team, especially when making great buying decisions.
- Can Make Or Break Your Email Reputation: This factor is only an inconvenient if you don’t know what you are doing in email marketing. The reputation of your email newsletter depends on how most people react to your emails. Do they open them and take action, or they ignore them? We don’t want to send unnecessary emails that nobody will read because it hurts our email reputation. The chance of showing your emails in people’s main newsletter depends on the average engagement in the past.
- Bad Format: For email marketers, there is a limit of how you can customize and add content to your email, such as file size. Another issue to consider is the lack of organization of most people, having hundreds of unread emails that will camouflage yours, making it less likely to be noticed and open.
How To Create An Email Marketing Strategy
Before we get into the technical tactics of email marketing, remember that this strategy works for all businesses. Its level of priority will depend on how you want to organize your marketing tactics.
Let me share a few functions that may be useful to grow your company with email marketing.
1. Key Reasons To Use Email Marketing
- Promotional Sequences: It is proven that existing customers are more prone to buy more than the new ones. Many businesses like to start this interaction by closing one inexpensive deal to gain the respect of the customer, overdelivering value. Later, you can use that loyalty to offer gradually more expensive products until you close a high-ticket offer.
- Know everything: Whether you need to solve a problem or set new goals, email marketing makes it visually easy to understand the whole marketing campaign, including the smallest details. In sales funnels, one inefficient stage is all it takes to reduce profit exponentially. This visual system allows us to troubleshoot quickly and prevent obstacles that may reduce productivity.
- Think Long Term: After collecting a lot of customer data, you will already have a clear understanding of their behaviors and patterns. Now, you can use that information on customer acquisition, literally predicting their movements. For example, you can bid much higher to show your ads to a targeted audience if you already know how much they will spend on average on your products.
2.Types Of Email Formats
- Lead-Generation Emails: People will appear in this email sequence after they give you their email for their first time. It is the most frequent type that marketers use to improve customer perception about the brand, which influences their buying decisions. Even though these are easy to automate, people should receive emails with different content and frequency depending on their behavior.
- Promotional Emails: This email sequence triggers after the lead turns into a customer, buying our products. The moment people buy the product is the best moment to promote another one because they are already in the right state. Of course, promotional emails can also send exclusive offers whenever you launch a new line of products.
- Subscription Emails: You can also include content-based businesses inside your services, offering educative content to your community. When people pay a monthly subscription, you may send them exclusive content they won’t find anywhere else, increasing their engagement.
3.Using The 90/10 Rule For Content Strategy
Whether you focus on brand awareness or lead generation, you will benefit from the 90/10 rule: give nine times more than what you take.
The proportions don’t need to be strictly measured, but the idea is about over-delivering value to your followers, so they naturally want to do business later.
For business owners, content is important to understand what attracts our customers and what they complain about, so we improve their experience.
Inversely, it is fundamental to reserve the company identity by selling products 10% of the time. You would be surprised at how many followers are unaware that content creators offer products and services. Similarly, people cannot move forward if your content lacks a call-to-action.
You can boost your conversions by simply applying this proportion for your content.
4.Managing Expectations On The Subscription Page
There are a few tips to follow when designing your Optin page to attract as many people to your email list as possible. What is the point of having so many advantages if nobody is joining the email list?
Luckily, subscription pages don’t need to be complex and show thousands of testimonials. Make sure to follow this simple sequence to capture more leads with your page.
What is the easiest and most common reason why people join email lists? There are looking to get something they are interested in free, whether it is a template, an info-product, or a free coaching session of 20 minutes.
After testing several Optin pages, it turns out that the best performing templates were also the most specific ones. If you offer “26 tips to lose 4lbs of weigh-in three weeks” on your Optin page, that is the only thing people expect to get. Clear outcomes are more valuable than vague promises.
The perfect title would include three lines: the product itself, the lifestyle benefit, and the objection solution.
- Product Line: Say in a few words what people will get exactly after giving their email.
- Lifestyle Benefit: Highlight the key advantage that they will get after getting your free offer. Why is it important? How fast can you get results? What does it require? Include numbers if you can.
- Objection Solution: Think of the most popular objection for your product and answer it on your opt-in page. When removing objections, people are more confident and move forward.
Finally, consider adding as much social proof as possible to your page with testimonials and positive results, especially when selling software.
5. Creative Email Subject Lines
After creating a high-quality email, it is easy to think that your customers will appreciate your effort in offering value. Unfortunately, people are so busy that they will never read their emails unless they are particularly interesting.
The way you create your email title will affect how many people will open it, which is fundamental to increase conversions. Here are three copy-writing techniques to increase your opening rate.
- Make It Relevant: The simplest tactic is to explain in a few words what the email is about, broadly speaking. Also, you want to keep it general while leaving information gaps to increase curiosity. If something looks interesting, people will want to know more about it.
- Make It Urgent: Why should they open it immediately? Consider using scarcity strategies to encourage people to take action. A few examples are limited offer clocks, one-time coupons, limited units available, and temporal discounts.
- Make It Bold: It is effective to be as direct as possible with your message to make it more powerful. You can combine a bold message with the right formatting by adding emojis, font styles, and images.
6. Stick To One Call-To-Action
It is confusing to have many choices to make, just as it is to have no options. When using CTA’s, it is fundamental to deliver the message clearly without filters, so people can know what to do next. If you are following the 90/10 rule, feel free to ask people to do something directly.
Mind that people will take different actions depending on their stage in the funnel. Some options aside from the purchase include visiting your website, subscribing to other newsletters, following you on social media, contacting you by phone, and so on.
7. Keep It Simple
It is a mistake to think that you can convince someone if you give more information. People who don’t have patience will stop listening if you cannot engage them in the first to minutes, which is why we need to take a minimalist approach.
It is good to sacrifice the length of your content if you can make it more precise, saving everybody time. Don’t take five steps if you can make it in two, whether you work on the email design or copy-writing.
8. Add Alt-Text To Images
If you are relying on images to increase user engagement, remember to add ALT tags to your images in case they cannot load properly. As a back-up plan, the ALT text displays a text when the images cannot appear for X reasons, which is useful to keep the message coherent.
ALT texts are as simple as writing a line for your image and can save you from increasing email bounce-back rates.
9. Make It Easy To Unsubscribe
As marketers, we may feel tempted to prevent subscribers from unsubscribing. Who wants to lose customers who changed their minds?
Well, why should you keep sending messages to someone who is no longer interested? In email marketing, what matters is not the number of subscribers, but the engagement. Unsubscriptions are as relevant as subscriptions.
When people decide to stop following you, it means that your email-opening rate and conversions increase. Make sure to make it easy to unsubscribe from the program to avoid hurting your email reputation.
If it is possible, create an email tracker that automatically unsubscribes people who don’t open your emails to keep your proportions optimal.
The Bottom Line
There are many techniques that you can try to bring more customers with email lists, but none of them guarantees success. It is important to test as many variations as possible to learn what works for your situation and optimize it.
The best way to track those results is by looking at bounce-back, opening, and conversion rates. You can use those results to understand their engagement and change the email frequency based on people’s interests.
If people just subscribe to have a look, you may accumulate many fake emails instead. Unlike single Optins, double Optins ask the subscriber for email verification to prevent people from typing random emails.
Overall, you can use email marketing to cover most of your marketing activities by having an automated sequence. Regardless of the business model, it has become a fundamental tool for organization and customer acquisition, increasing success in business.