When working to qualify potential SEO or web design clients it’s important to ask the right questions. This discovery phase helps ensure you can provide the most value to the client, as well as making sure they are able to support and execute your digital strategies – thus getting the most value from you.
Below are a cheat sheet and SEO questionnaire we use to make sure both our client and our agency are getting the most value from each other.
Technical SEO Questions
- Will we have access to past SEO analysis and campaign insights?
- Is there an opportunity to make technical or design changes to the site if our research leads to these recommendations?
- Do you have in-house developers?
- What is your deployment schedule / cycle?
Content Strategy Questions
- Are there high-value keyword targets?
- Where are the keyword targets derived from?
- Which high-value keywords have the highest profit and conversion rate?
- Is there an appetite to create in-depth valuable content based on customer type?
- Do you have an editorial calendar in place?
- Do you have in-house designers and copywriters to create high-value content assets?
- Do you currently have a content governance policy?
Link Building and Digital PR Questions
- Were any links built to the site previously?
- Do you currently have a digital PR team?
- To your knowledge has there been any link building activities that would inhibit or hurt rankings (such as buying links or comment and forum spam)?
Social Media Questions
- Has there been a social media strategy executed?
- Will the SEO team have access to the social media communities in order to integrate and utilize its reach and influencers?
Measurement Strategy Questions
- What are your primary SEO KPIs or positive indicators (Examples: keyword diversity trend, non-branded keyword traffic trend, referral traffic trend, conversion rate)?
- How do you determine your SEO success metrics and targets?
- What positive indicators have you measured? What negative indicators have your measured?
- Have you ever received a warning notice in Google Webmaster Tools?
- Have your search rankings ever dropped drastically? If so, when and for how long?
- Will we have access to Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics?
- Are there personas or customer-types defined for each channel?
- What other marketing strategies (both offline and online) do you employ?
- Are you looking to drive branded recognition, non-branded recognition or both?
- If there was a previous SEO agency, what strategy or capabilities would they like to see from our team that you felt your previous agency did not deliver?
You can download the complete SEO Client Questionnaire Here